[Ksummit-discuss] "Maintainer summit" invitation discussion

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at intel.com
Thu Apr 20 08:17:18 UTC 2017

On Wed, 19 Apr 2017, Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> Yeah, I don't think we can do much about distros that intentionally
> want to stay behind and backport.

/me looks at https://www.kernel.org/

1 stable, 8 longterm, and 1 eol'd longterm kernels. The oldest longterm
is based on a five years old release.

I just think the multitude of longterm kernels are sending a message
that it's perfectly fine to stay behind. Don't get me wrong, I know why
they are there, but I still think in the past the focus on encouraging
to always use the latest stable kernel was stronger.

BR,
Jani.