[Ksummit-discuss] "Maintainer summit" invitation discussion

Mauro Carvalho Chehab mchehab at infradead.org
Thu Apr 20 11:25:35 UTC 2017

Em Wed, 19 Apr 2017 16:36:36 -0600
Jonathan Corbet <corbet at lwn.net> escreveu:

> On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 18:15:06 -0300
> Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab at infradead.org> wrote:
>
> > There is one particular issue that occurs to me, although I'm not sure
> > if it would fit on the new "maintainer summit" format: it is related
> > to how to group documentation. Also, this is actually Jon's call, but
> > I suspect that he may want to hear comments from the others.
>
> I could imagine talking about a few documentation issues, including
> interactions with the rest of the kernel.  Who has responsibility for
> taking docs patches is often not clear, leading to multiple maintainers
> picking them up or conflicts between trees.

I suspect that conflicts are hard to avoid, as often patch series
need to touch both code and Documentation/.

I guess keeping the MAINTAINERS updated to reflect who is responsible
for each file under Documentation is one important step to minimize
conflicts.

Btw, that's one of the reasons why I believe that one book
per subsystem would work better than spreading the subsystem
documentation among several different books: once such book is
added at the main Documentation/index.rst and Documentation/conf.py,
the subsystem maintainer can take care of all documentation patches
for such book without risking to cause conflicts with other trees.

Thanks,
Mauro