[Ksummit-discuss] "Maintainer summit" invitation discussion

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Wed Apr 19 15:37:04 UTC 2017

On 4/18/2017 4:13 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 12:50 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 20:59:37 +0200,
>> Linus Torvalds wrote:
>>>
>>>    Some driver subsystems may be huge (eg media and sound), but I
>>> don't know if they have issues. Mauro/Takashi?
>>
>> In the sound area, majority of commits come from Mark Brown's ASoC
>> tree nowadays, and he should be included.  Mark is already in your
>> list, so we're covered pretty well by that.
>
> Ok. I don't know how many from that top-50 list we actually would be
> able to have.
>
> Not only do I think that we should try to limit it to maybe ~35 people
> (random number taken out of thin air, but feels small enough that
> people could basically just do it in a smaller room and keep things
> personal), but the list is just the 50 kernel maintainer side.
>
> And there's another important side to this if we can make it work: the
> *users* of the kernel. Notably I'd really like to have kernel leads
> from the main distros, ie Android, Fedora, Suse, Ubuntu.
>
> I think that when we talk about process pain points, we definitely
> need to have downstream involved. Greg is there with his stable
> maintainer hat on too, but he's still "ours".
>
> It would be really good to have whoever is in charge of the Android
> kernel there (not manager, but tech lead), and not make it a blame
> game, but really try to also talk about how we could perhaps bridge
> that gap somehow.
>
> I'm not sure who those people actually are, but I suspect this list
> contains people who can point to each tech lead.. I think it's Laura
> Abbott for Fedora, for example?

There really is no pain point for Fedora.  They take a very simple
approach: in rawhide, they pull latest git once you hit the -rc cycles
and build it, otherwise it's the latest released kernel; in actual
releases, they pull stable tree point releases as they are released (not
long term stable, they upgrade to a new stable tree fairly regularly).
They really don't do much in the way of having to integrate changes into
their kernel (intentionally), it's just a constant rolling update game
using newer and newer tarballs.  So, the pain is not in Fedora, it's in
RHEL.  What we do there is so totally different from Fedora and hurts so
bad as a developer...but I don't know if you really care to even talk
about that at the summit since, to be fair, it's largely a consequence
of our business model.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
    GPG Key ID: B826A3330E572FDD