[Ksummit-discuss] "Maintainer summit" invitation discussion

Bjorn Helgaas bhelgaas at google.com
Fri Apr 21 23:19:18 UTC 2017

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 3:20 PM, James Bottomley
<James.Bottomley at hansenpartnership.com> wrote:
> I'd like closure on one process issue, if we could achieve it:
>
> Maintainer script automation: Quite a few of us have maintainer scripts
> that send automated email notifications of the status of patches in the
> tree (mostly to stop people flooding the lists with questions about
> what happened to their patches).  We did a script show and tell at the
> last kernel summit, but perhaps we could get closure on a couple of
> issues:

I wasn't at the last summit, and there's a lot of room for improvement
in this area of my life.  Is this show and tell available anywhere?

>    1. Since most people agree that these form of notifications are useful,
>       should we have a standard email for it (or at least a list of things
>       which should be in that email, like commit-id, tree, maintainer,
>       mailing list and the version of the kernel it is expected to be
>       pushed for).
>    2. Given that we all run ad-hoc infrastructure to produce these emails,
>       could we get a set of blessed scripts up on kernel.org for all
>       comers so we can use the central infrastructure rather than rolling
>       our own.
>
> The other things I think it might do us all good is to have a frank
> session on "tasteful rebasing".  We've come around (finally) to the
> conclusion that rebasing isn't always bad.  My own opinion is that
> rebasing to fix issues in patches (particularly those marked for
> stable) so they can backport cleanly and atomically.  There's also less
> of a consensus that rebasing to clean up history is a reasonably good
> thing (provided it's not done just before requesting a pull).  However,
> we have a divergence of opinions not just on whether we should rebase,
> but what constitutes a tasteful rebase.  Just telling people,
> particularly would be new maintainers, that it's a judgement call
> always is unhelpful, we could do with putting together some more
> detailed guidance (assuming we can agree on it).

I'm interested in this, too.  I update topic branches regularly to add
acks, fix typos, fold in fixes discovered before merging to Linus,
etc.  I assume that as long as it hasn't been merged, doing that as
separate patches would just be clutter.  But maybe I'm making life
difficult for contributors who consume those branches.  I almost
always apply patches from email (as opposed to pulling via git), and I
typically base the topic branches on -rc1 or -rc2, because that makes
it simple for me to do these updates.

Bjorn