[Ksummit-discuss] "Maintainer summit" invitation discussion

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Wed Apr 26 14:21:49 UTC 2017

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 03:47:13AM +0000, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> On 04/25/17 09:56, Mark Brown wrote:

> > This comes up most years...  is a discussion likely to come up with
> > anything new that's concretely actionable?

> If priorities change over time and someone who had initially sufficient
> time to be a kernel maintainer and later on that changes that's
> something I can understand. But what I do not understand is if someone
> no longer has enough time to be a kernel maintainer why he or she does
> not look for help and e.g. asks someone who has the required skills and
> who is interested in this kind of work to become a co-maintainer?

You'd have to ask the relevant people...  based on the times I've looked
at problematic subsystems it often seems that either people have
completely vanished for whatever reason or there's very little other
interest in the subsystem so no obvious candidates.  I'm not saying that
there isn't a problem, I'm just saying that it's not new and it doesn't
seem like the situation changed much.