[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINER TOPIC] ABI feature gates?

Daniel Vetter daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch
Fri Aug 4 08:23:58 UTC 2017

On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 3:30 AM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 06:16:44PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
>> [Note: I'm not entirely sure I can make it to the kernel summit this
>> year, due to having a tiny person and tons of travel]
>>
>> This may be highly controversial, but: there seems to be a weakness in
>> the kernel development model in the way that new ABI features become
>> stable.  The current model is, roughly:
>>
>> 1. Someone writes the code.  Maybe they cc linux-abi, maybe they don't.
>> 2. People hopefully review the code.
>> 3. A subsystem maintainer merges the code.  They hope the ABI is right.
>> 4. Linus gets a pull request.  Linus probably doesn't review the ABI
>> for sanity, style, blatant bugs, etc.  If Linus did, then he'd never
>> get anything else done.
>> 5. The new ABI lands in -rc1.
>> 6. If someone finds a problem or objects, it had better get fixed
>> before the next real release.
>>
>> There's a few problems here.  One is that the people who would really
>> review the ABI might not even notice until step 5 or 6 or so.  Another
>> is that it takes some time for userspace to get experience with a new
>> ABI.
>>
>> I'm wondering if there are other models that could work.  I think it
>> would be nice for us to be able to land a kernel in Linus tree and
>> still wait a while before stabilizing it.  Rust, for example, has a
>> strict policy for this that seems to work quite well.
>
> What does Rust do here?
>
>> Maybe we could pull something off where big new features hide behind a
>> named feature gate for a while.  That feature gate can only be enabled
>> under some circumstances that make it very hard to mistake it for true
>> stability.  (For example, maybe you *can't* enable feature gates on a
>> final kernel unless you manually patch something.)
>>
>> Here are a few examples that come to mind for where this would have helped:
>>
>>  - Whatever that new RDMA socket type was that was deemed totally
>> broken but only just after it hit a real release.
>>  - O_TMPFILE.  I discovered that it corrupted filesystems in -rc6 or
>> -rc7.  That got fixed, the the API is still a steaming pile of crap.
>>  - Some cgroup+bpf stuff that got cleaned up in a -rc7 or so a few releases ago.
>>
>> I'm sure there are tons more.
>>
>> Is this too crazy, or is it worth discussing?
>
> I think it is, it keeps coming up over and over and it's not getting any
> easier.  We are long past the time when we only had to duplicate what
> other operating systems do, adding new features is much different.
>
> I like the "manually patch" thing as an good idea for how to maybe do
> this, but who is going to do that patching for testing?  What's the rule
> for how long time has to pass before it can be enabled?

Imo the real fix is to crank up requirements. What we have right now
for gpu drivers is:
- Kernel patch, fully reviewed.
- Full docs for the internals for the same.
- Testcases for the same.
- The entire userspace stack using that feature. Not some tech demo,
prototype or testcase, but the real deal. Also no vendor forks. In
extreme cases this means patches to 3+ projects (other than the
kernel) to wire the entire thing through the desktop stack.
- Testcases for all those userspace bits.
- Full review on all those userspace bits. This generally means kernel
hackers review the userspace and userpace people the kernel bits too.
- Not quite there yet, but some starts on real docs for the uapi.
- Also not quite where it needs to be yet, but full CI over everything
(at least on for the i915 driver, which is still the team that pushes
for most of the generic drm uapi additions).

Some drivers chicken a bit on some of these pieces (less docs/review),
but for the big ones and all the core bits, that's what we do. That's
some steep requirements, and it makes adding new uapi a fairly big
pain, but as a result we generally ship it as soon as it hits
linux-next, with very few regrets in hindsight. Ship as in, it e.g.
hits a stable mese release which distros often ship in their stable
release way before the much slower kernel release process has gone
through it's paces.

And yes, each of the rules we have for new uapi is because there's at
least one case where we did regret not doing that :-)
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation