[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINER TOPIC] ABI feature gates?

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Mon Aug 14 18:34:41 UTC 2017

On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 9:19 PM, NeilBrown <neilb at suse.com> wrote:

> I think the issue is that some of us would like a clearer statement on
> what values of "some point" we will honor, and which values are
> crazy-talk.

What?

I thought I was *VERY* clear. It has *ALWAYS* been very clear.

There is absolutely *no* cut-off. If a feature has been in a released
kernel, we support it. End of story.

Stop fishing for "some point". It doesn't exist. It never has. And it
never will.

If you worry about how good and stable your ABI is, and aren't willing
to support that ABI forever, don't send the patch. Seriously. Just
don't.

This whole discussion is pointless.

                      Linus