[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] & [TECH TOPIC] Improve regression tracking

Steven Rostedt rostedt at goodmis.org
Wed Jul 5 16:10:00 UTC 2017

On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 11:08:48 -0400
Carlos O'Donell <carlos at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 07/05/2017 10:33 AM, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> > No test should be written for a single specific hardware. It should be a
> > general functionality that different hardware can execute.
>
> Why? We test all sorts of hardware in userspace and we see value in that
> testing.

One reason is for bit rot. I'm not totally against it. But I envision
that if we have hundreds of tests for very specific pieces of hardware,
it's value will diminish over time. Unless we can get a good
infrastructure written where the hardware info is more of a data sheet
then a single test itself.

-- Steve