[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] is Kconfig a bit hard sometimes?

Dan Carpenter dan.carpenter at oracle.com
Thu Jul 6 14:40:29 UTC 2017

People have mentioned "make oldconfig" but I've never had a lot of luck
with that.  It always just prints "* Restart config..." and deletes my
config.

Also I hate menus.  It's such a pain if you want to enable a feature and
you have to do a dungeon crawl through our menu system to try find it.

I wrote a script a couple years ago to create kernel configs.  I do a
make defconfig, then I take a distro config and I do:

    for i in $(grep =m old_config) ; do
	./scripts/kconfig/kconfig set $i
    done

This prints a lot of errors and the code is only half implemented but
it's honestly the easiest way for me to get a bootable kernel these
days.  If someone wanted to the could add a "./scripts/kconfig/kconfig
file <name>" command that would read a line at a time and call
`./scripts/kconfig/kconfig set $line` over and over.

regards,
dan carpenter