[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Developing across multiple areas of the kernel

Bart Van Assche Bart.VanAssche at wdc.com
Fri Jul 14 16:28:04 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-07-14 at 18:18 +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:

> > > It is possible to get 0-day to run against any arbitrary git tree, if
> > > you ask nicely. If same is true for the kernel-ci project. So if you
> > > are willing to do the merge work, you can get it tested.
> >
> > 0-day is checking my tree, so it is not the problem.
> >
> > I don't see how kernel-ci can help me, because RDMA requires special
> > hardware to run it and it usually requires more than two endpoints (servers)
> > connected together.
>
> kernel-ci are happy to receive hardware. I've sent them boards in the
> past which have been added to their test farm. Kernel-ci is mostly
> about boot testing, but they do do some tests post boot. So if you can
> supply tests as well, they may run them for you.
>
> > My problem is related to changes in other trees for example netdev, which
> > can break RDMA functionality.
> >
> > Technology wise, there are:
> > 1. RoCE - RDMA over Converged Ethernet - netdev is below RDMA
> > 2. IPoIB - IP over Infiniband - netdev is above RDMA
> > 3. HFI-VNIC - Ethernet over OmniPath - netdev is above RDMA
> > 4. iWARP - RDMA over IP networks
>
> How much of this do you already have automated test for?  You can also
> setup your own test farm, using the kernels kernel-ci builds.

Hello Andrew,

The srp-test software is fully automated. It requires IB hardware today but does
not require a second server because it uses IB loopback. As soon as I have the time
I will add RoCE support to the upstream SRP initiator and target drivers such that
these tests can be run on top of Ethernet hardware. Please let me know if you would
like to start using this software and if you need help. See also
https://github.com/bvanassche/srp-test.

Bart.