[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] printk redesign

Daniel Vetter daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch
Wed Jul 19 07:26:23 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 8:25 AM, Sergey Senozhatsky
<sergey.senozhatsky.work at gmail.com> wrote:
> On (07/19/17 15:24), Sergey Senozhatsky wrote:
>> On (06/19/17 14:21), Sergey Senozhatsky wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> >     I, Petr Mladek and Steven Rostedt would like to propose a printk
>> > tech topic (as suggested by Steven). We are currently exploring the idea
>> > of complete redesign and rework of printk and it would be extremely helpful
>> > to hear from the community. printk serves different purposes, and some of
>> > requirements of printk tend to contradict each other; printk is monolithic
>> > and quite heavy, no wonder, it causes problems sometimes.
>>
>> I made a trivial printk TODO list. The list is incomplete and mostly
>> was created for personal use: thus it's probably a bit hard to read,
>> but at the same time it contains some quotes/opinions/ideas copy-pastes
>> and web-links. May be can be of some use. This also looks like our
>> possible (some approximation) agenda [if the topic will be accepted].
>>

> d'oh...  the link...
>
> https://github.com/sergey-senozhatsky/printk-todo

lgtm, two quick notes:
- my mail with the fbdev discussion seems to be in the wrong chapter.
Move it from "console_sem" to "fbdev, tty, drm, etc .."?

- feature request for per-console output: Per-console flag to always
use a kthread/offloading, even when oops/panic is happening. kms
definitely wants that. Please note that in that section. I can help
with implementing, once we get there.

Cheers, Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter