[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Bug reporting feedback loop

Laura Abbott labbott at redhat.com
Wed Jun 21 22:34:11 UTC 2017

Fedora tends to follow the most recent stable kernel very closely
(e.g. 4.11.6 is currently pending for Fedora 24, 25, and 26).
This works well enough, but there still seem to be some
disconnects in the bug reporting process. Examples I can think of:

- When users report bugs on the Fedora tracker that look like
actual upstream bugs, what's the best way to have those reported?
I typically end up having to summarize from the Fedora bugzilla
and send an e-mail which ends up being tedious. Can we make this
bug reporting easier for non-kernel developers?
- There's still a gap between when bugs hit Linus' tree and when
stable releases come out. This is not a knock against stable or
a request for stable to go faster :). I try
and monitor stable@ for fixes but there still seems to be a
large time gap for identifying fixes that have been fixes in
master that are relevant to a recent stable release.
- Are pictures of kernel panic still the most reliable method
of getting information for early crashes? I keep getting pictures
in 'creative' formats.

Thanks,
Laura