[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Bug reporting feedback loop

Laura Abbott labbott at redhat.com
Sun Jun 25 17:11:19 UTC 2017

On 06/23/2017 07:52 AM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 03:34:11PM -0700, Laura Abbott wrote:
>> - There's still a gap between when bugs hit Linus' tree and when
>> stable releases come out. This is not a knock against stable or
>> a request for stable to go faster :). I try
>> and monitor stable@ for fixes but there still seems to be a
>> large time gap for identifying fixes that have been fixes in
>> master that are relevant to a recent stable release.
>
> Ok, I'll bite, what exactly do you mean by "large time"?  During the
> -rc1 merge window, it can take a few weeks for me to catch up with the
> large onslaught of patches marked for stable, but almost all of those
> were determined by the develoers to not be all-so-serious, as they were
> delayed in getting to Linus for -rc1, and not before.>

'large' is my completely biased perception :)

Fedora generally does not rebase until the .2 or .3 stable release
which usually takes care of most of the -rc1 issue. The problem
tends to come from issues which are not found until later -rcs
and for whatever reason haven't made it to stable yet.

> You can always email and ask for specific patches to be queued up now,
> as I go through the list in a semi-random manner.

If I can find the patch, I have no problem bringing it into Fedora
or requesting it for stable. Finding a patch is the tricky part
which I'd like to improve. My current technique relies on a combination
of good guessing where a fix might come from and random inspiration.
Maybe this is just the curse of the maintainer and there isn't a
better method but having something a bit more systematic to check
would be useful, especially for training other maintainers.

> After the big -rc1 chunk of patches are merged, it's usually only a week
> at most before the patches hit a stable release, people usually complain
> it goes too fast, not that it's too slow these days.
> > thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Thanks,
Laura