[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Documentation issues

Mauro Carvalho Chehab mchehab at s-opensource.com
Mon Jun 26 01:20:57 UTC 2017

Em Sun, 25 Jun 2017 22:56:07 +0200 (CEST)
Jiri Kosina <jkosina at suse.cz> escreveu:

> On Sat, 24 Jun 2017, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>
> > > There are pieces of .txt documentation falling into the "well-knows source of
> > > information" category, with many references to them all over the Web.
> > > kernel-parameters.txt is probably the most spectacular example here, but there
> > > are others.
> > >
> > > Let us not move or rename these, please, or at least put symbolic links in
> > > place to point to the new locations or similar, such that the existing WWW
> > > links pointing to the documentation at kernel.org still work going forward.
> > >
> > > And if we have moved or renamed them already, can we possibly make these
> > > links work again somehow?
> >
> > Agreed. We discussed in the past about two alternatives for those
> > "well known" documents:
> >
> > 	1) write a small text on the old file pointing to the
> > 	   new location;
> > 	2) use symlink.
> >
> > Right now, we're actually mixing (1) and (2). IMHO, we should either
> > do (1) or (2).
>
> Unfortunately option (3) has also been applied to some of the files:
>
> 	$ ll Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
> 	ls: cannot access 'Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt': No such file or directory
>
> I wasn't sure whether this was intentional or not. But if not, I'll
> happily send a patch that introduces a symlink.

It was not intentional in the sense of "hiding" where it
went. The idea is to keep the number of such references "minimum",
in order to avoid bloating the Documents/ with lots of (1) or (2).

So, the reason why there's currently no cross reference for it is
just because nobody decided to put it at the list of "well known"
docs that would require a cross-reference of type (1) or (2).

Thanks,
Mauro