[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Documentation issues

Daniel Vetter daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch
Tue Jun 27 08:41:27 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 11:28 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw at rjwysocki.net> wrote:
> On Monday, June 26, 2017 07:58:27 AM Takashi Iwai wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 22:56:07 +0200,
>> Jiri Kosina wrote:

>> > Unfortunately option (3) has also been applied to some of the files:
>> >
>> >     $ ll Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
>> >     ls: cannot access 'Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt': No such file or directory
>> >
>> > I wasn't sure whether this was intentional or not. But if not, I'll
>> > happily send a patch that introduces a symlink.
>>
>> If we do symlinks, wouldn't it be cleaner to separate the old doc
>> directory from the new doc directory?  That is, Documentation/* keeps
>> the old txt or symlinks while the ReST is put in another directory,
>> say, docs/* as originally suggested.
>
> That actually sounds like a good idea to me. :-)
>
> Question is if it's not too late to do that now that we have all that stuff
> under Documentation/.

I think it's a bit late, at least from more documentation-active
susbsystems like gpu/. The docbook->rst switch was pains, dealing once
more with piles of renames isn't really something I'd like to do. And
one of the main selling points of .rst was that it integrates much
more smoothly into our existing pile of .txt docs, whereas the
DocBook/ subdir was always a bit a ghetto. Forcing another split seems
ill-advised to me.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter