[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] Pulling away from the tracing ABI quicksands

Steven Rostedt rostedt at goodmis.org
Fri Jun 30 01:45:30 UTC 2017

On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 18:38:11 -0700
Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> Why can't you just attach some eBPF script to the one tracepoint you
> already have? I know that has been at least discussed, and it seems to
> be the only reasonable way forward, since the existing thing clearly
> isn't working.

I like the eBPF idea, unfortunately it suffers the same fate. It only
has access to fields that have been exported via the tracepoint. Now we
are back to what fields are we going to make visible, and what happens
when they no longer make sense?

I guess you can argue that we need to keep modifying that eBPF script,
for each kernel release.

-- Steve