[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] Pulling away from the tracing ABI quicksands

Steven Rostedt rostedt at goodmis.org
Fri Jun 30 02:48:18 UTC 2017

On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 19:34:53 -0700
Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> Oh, I thought it worked outside of perf already. My bad. I'm actually
> surprised it doesn't interact with ftrace, since it seems like the
> perfect use case.

Agreed. I need to push that up in priority in my todo list.

Getting ebpf functionality into tracing could also help filtering and
such, which is still done with tree logic.

Anyway, I would like to get people together in discussing some of these
enhancements at ksummit as well. How to load ebpf into ftrace is another
ABI issue that we need to do right, otherwise that could bite us years
from now.

-- Steve