[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Documentation issues

Bird, Timothy Tim.Bird at sony.com
Tue Jun 27 18:42:20 UTC 2017

My 2 cents is that files in Documentation are much more often linked to
or referenced by things outside the kernel tree, than source code is.
A quick perusal of elinux.org shows a fair number of references to text files under
Documentation, some with direct links to online git trees.
Documentation/SubmittingPatches is a good example.
This one has a "This file has moved..." line in its content, which I believe
suffices for getting people to the right place.  IMHO that's better than
a symlink, at least for web references.

> My hope (cue inspirational music here) is that, someday, it will be
> possible to type "ls Documentation" and get back a reasonably sized
> listing that is easy to explore.  Let's just say that's not the situation
> at the moment.  Getting there will certainly involve moving files around;
> replacing them with symlinks or pointer files would, to a real extent,
> defeat the purpose.

I like the suggestion by Takashi Iwai to separate the new docs from the old,
putting symlinks and leaving legacy (not-yet-converted) docs in Documentation,
and new stuff in 'docs/*'.  I think that the new docs have not been 'pinned' yet
by external references, and could still be moved around (in the short term),
without much pain. Then "ls docs" could produce the nice listing, while
"ls Documentation" would show ugly symlinks, placeholders, and legacy junk.
 -- Tim