[Ksummit-discuss] Maintainer's Summit Agenda Planning

Jonathan Corbet corbet at lwn.net
Fri Oct 6 16:32:59 UTC 2017

On Fri, 6 Oct 2017 11:26:21 -0500
Josh Poimboeuf <jpoimboe at redhat.com> wrote:

> I think it would be a good idea to have a Maintainer's Guide which tries
> to document a lot of this knowledge.  It would help new maintainers
> learn the ropes, and would also help drive consensus for maintainer's
> best practices.  It could document the typical processes of a
> maintainer, and policy guidelines like some of the above topics.

Strangely enough, this is a conversation that has been popping up in other
contexts too.  We may see an initial attempt before too long.

The tricky part, of course, is finding a way to document the consensus on
best practices without trying to "drive" it too hard.

My own thought is that a good starting place might be a "how to avoid
getting your pull request flamed" document, since there is some semblance
of a consensus there and it's a place where people often make mistakes.

jon