[Ksummit-discuss] Maintainer's Summit Agenda Planning

Fri Oct 6 16:56:44 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-10-06 at 10:32 -0600, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Oct 2017 11:26:21 -0500
> Josh Poimboeuf <jpoimboe at redhat.com> wrote:
>

> > I think it would be a good idea to have a Maintainer's Guide which
> > tries to document a lot of this knowledge.  It would help new
> > maintainers learn the ropes, and would also help drive consensus
> > for maintainer's best practices.  It could document the typical
> > processes of a maintainer, and policy guidelines like some of the
> > above topics.
>
> Strangely enough, this is a conversation that has been popping up in
> other contexts too.  We may see an initial attempt before too long.
>
> The tricky part, of course, is finding a way to document the
> consensus on best practices without trying to "drive" it too hard.
>
> My own thought is that a good starting place might be a "how to avoid
> getting your pull request flamed" document, since there is some
> semblance of a consensus there and it's a place where people often
> make mistakes.

Actually, I'd argue this is the most arcane area.  Accepting a pull
request represents the expression of a trust relationship and it's not
entirely well documented how to form that.  The mechanics of what
should be in it and how it should be split vary by puller.  For
instance, Linus' requirements are reasonably well documented in git-
request-pull, but other trees have varying requirements.  Why he might
flame you varies from too many merge window patches in a non-merge
window to to many merge points in the tree or "unclean" history.

James