[Ksummit-discuss] Maintainer's Summit Agenda Planning

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at intel.com
Wed Oct 11 18:51:52 UTC 2017

On Mon, 09 Oct 2017, James Bottomley <James.Bottomley at HansenPartnership.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-10-09 at 18:49 +0200, Julia Lawall wrote:
>> Do you suggest one big patch, that goes to who?  Or lots of little
>> patches that go out at once to the individual maintainers of the
>> affected code?
>
> I was actually thinking we validate the script and if there are no
> problems, apply it at -rc1 ... so effectively one big patch.

By -rc1 we (drm in general, drm/i915 in particular) will already have
accumulated easily 4-5 weeks' worth of commits for the *next* merge
window. Applying treewide stuff to Linus' tree at -rc1 forces a
backmerge and potentially conflicts galore I'm not particularly thrilled
about. I'd much rather see the patches to our driver come through our
tree, and we generally deal with them without a fuss.

BR,
Jani.