[Ksummit-discuss] Maintainer's Summit Agenda Planning

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at intel.com
Tue Oct 17 08:34:23 UTC 2017

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017, Joe Perches <joe at perches.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-10-16 at 17:25 +0300, Jani Nikula wrote:

>> > If we're applying a semantic patch script (and we've verified it works
>> > well enough to use the script on the -rc1 main tree), couldn't you
>> > simply apply it to your tree at the same time?
>>
>> If we did, the fixes would show up in a later kernel release. Which is
>> just fine for us. In other words, just let subsystems and drivers handle
>> this as they see fit?
>
> Scheduling and acceptance rates are the issue.
>
> Also some scripted patches require complete treewide
> application to allow things like API changes.

As described in https://lwn.net/Articles/735468/ we have a pretty
extensive and growing CI system in place. We don't apply a single patch
without a pre-merge green light from CI, no exceptions. I take issue
with applying any patches to our driver that didn't go through our CI
first, let alone bypassing our repositories.

If an API change requires a flag day treewide change in a 15M+ line
hierarchically developed codebase, you're just plain doing it wrong.

Please just let subsystems and drivers handle this as they see fit, and
queue changes via their trees.

BR,
Jani.