[Ksummit-discuss] Devicetree Workshop at Kernel Summit Prague (26 Oct 2017)

Frank Rowand frowand.list at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 23:45:56 UTC 2017

On 10/17/17 06:38, Grant Likely wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 8:45 PM, Rob Herring <robh at kernel.org> wrote:

>>> I am interested in this, as we seem to be repeating the quantity
>>> issue with the board file of having many .dts sources in the kernel.
>>
>> The problem was not so much having board files in the kernel. It was
>> how to scale support for boards and SoCs with each family structuring
>> things their own, different way.
>>
>> IIRC, the ARM tree was at ~400 boards at the start of DT conversion.
>> Now we're at ~1100 boards for arm/arm64. Plus we still have 264 that
>> aren't converted to DT.
>>
>>> I'm not sure how to deal with this, on one hand only having the
>>> reference (and possibly popular) boards is going to keep the size
>>> down. On the other hand out of tree .dts files are going to be
>>> difficult to find (or vanish with the vendor).
>>
>> Why do we care? What problem is that causing?
>
> In fact, for many platforms that would be a good place to get to if
> the firmware is providing the .dtb. Plus the DT data formats are so
> simple that it is not difficult to get a DTB back into a DTS.

No, it _is_ difficult to convert a DTB to a useful DTS.

The DTB might not be easily extracted from a vendor provided
boot image.

You do not get a full DTS back from a decompiled DTB.  Phandle
references are integers instead of strings.  Labels are missing.

>>> It seems we are still no closer to having a DT repository outside
>>> the kernel.
>>
>> In relationship to the above what problem would that solve? We've got
>> all the platform maintainers and arm-soc maintainers to handle dts
>> files. Mark and myself along with subsystem maintainers reviewing and
>> applying device bindings. If you move all that to a separate
>> repository, then you have me because no one else has volunteered. I'm
>> pretty sure no one wants me as the single point of failure.
>

> Yes. When it comes to the bindings, and schema files when we have
> them, they should be maintained with the tools.

Totally disagree.  I'm sure we'll have the same discussion we have had
at various ELC and ELCE events, where a handful of people want to move
the DTS files out of the kernel source tree, and the vast majority of
the room is opposed to that.