[Ksummit-discuss] Devicetree Workshop at Kernel Summit Prague (26 Oct 2017)

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Oct 18 10:11:57 UTC 2017

Hello,

On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 10:21:16 -0600, Ian Lepore wrote:

> I've run into the same thing in FreeBSD.  We use bindings and dts
> files, exacted periodically from the linux tree and imported into ours,
> for all modern arm boards/systems.  Several times I've created drivers
> for small things like i2c RTC chips that aren't supported currently by
> linux, and it's not clear to me that it's even possible to submit
> bindings and dts for them back upstream without also submitting a linux
> driver that uses them (which of course I'm not in a position to do).

You don't have to submit a driver to submit a binding.

Examples of bindings that are not supported by any upstream driver:

  Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/wireless/esp,esp8089.txt
  Documentation/devicetree/bindings/gpu/arm,mali-utgard.txt
  Documentation/devicetree/bindings/gpu/arm,mali-midgard.txt

and there are probably more.

Best regards,

Thomas
--