[Ksummit-discuss] Devicetree Workshop at Kernel Summit Prague (26 Oct 2017)

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Thu Oct 19 11:10:31 UTC 2017

Hi folks,

I've flushed out the schedule. It is still a draft, but I've got names
against the topics and put them into a rough order.

If your name is listed below, it means I've asked you to frame the
problem and moderate discussion for that topic. I'm *not* asking you
to present unless the topic is specifically listed as a presentation.
If you want you can have a slide or two, but you must get them to me
by Tuesday evening, 24 October. I want to keep the time fiddling with
projectors to a minimum.

Originally this was intended as a 1/2 day workshop, but given that we
have the room for the full day, I've spread things out to give a bit
more time for hallway track. I can also move things around if need be
to avoid conflicts with the maintainers summit and KVM forum. The
maintenance topics are in the afternoon under the assumption that
there are folks in the maintainers summit who will want to attend. The
tooling and schema topics are in the morning. I've also tried really
hard to preserve the breaks and lunch to give time for hallway
discussion.

As always, none of this is set in stone. If you have any specific
conflicts or concerns then please say so.

Cheers,
g.

==Morning==
9:30 Welcome and Schedule bashing (0:10) (Grant Likely)

===Tooling & Schema===
9:40 (5min) Encoding and Schema checking: Framing the problem (Grant Likely)
9:45 (15min) DT YAML encoding overview (Pantelis Antoniou - presentation)
10:00 (20min) YAML encoding discussion
10:20 (15min) DT Schema format - option 1 (Pantelis Antoniou - presentation)
10:35 (15min) DT Schema format - option 2 (Grant Likely - presentation)
10:50 (20min) DT Schema discussion - what should go in the spec?

11:10-11:50 [Break]

===Runtime usage===
11:50 (20min) Code Generation from DT (Kumar Gala - presentation)
12:10 (20min) Runtime memory consumption (Rob Herring - presentation)

12:30-14:30 [Lunch]

==Afternoon==
===DTS maintenance issues===
14:30 (15min) Overlay maintenance plan (Bill Mills)
14:45 (15min) Avoiding duplicate descriptions (Thomas Petazzoni)
15:00 (15min) Criteria for accepting board files
15:15 (15min) Location for maintaining bindings - how to handle
'foreign bindings' (Boris Brezillon)
15:30 (15min) Sharing Generic bindings (Geert Uytterhoeven)
15:45 (15min) ABI Stability (Lucas Stach)

16:00-16:30 [break and overflow discussion]

16:30 (20min) DT health check (Ben Dooks)
16:50 (15min) devicetree.org update (Grant Likely)
17:05 (15min) EBBR Discussion (Grant Likely)
17:20 Closing and feedback