[Ksummit-discuss] Devicetree Workshop at Kernel Summit Prague (26 Oct 2017)

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Fri Oct 20 10:01:41 UTC 2017

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 11:55:20AM +0200, Alexandre Torgue wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> On 10/19/2017 08:46 PM, Frank Rowand wrote:
> > On 10/19/17 07:59, Rob Herring wrote:

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > That's the main focus ATM. Nico has looked at shrinking code usage too
> > > such as the tty layer and scheduler, but those have faced resistance.
> > > We need actual products to prove the value (and that's a chicken and
> > > egg problem).

> > > You certainly could remove disabled nodes in dtc. I'm not sure how
> > > hard it would be to plumb into dtc. I think phandle properties are
> > > already only created if there's a reference to them. If that is
> >
> > Yes, phandles are only created if referenced, unless compiled
> > for loading overlays into:
> >

> Are there DTC "extra" options to use to not build those useless phandles ? I
> just tried to revert the dtb to dts (using following command:
>  ./scripts/dtc/dtc -I dtb -O dts -o stm32f469-disco-flat.dts
> arch/arm/boot/dts/stm32f469-disco.dtb)

As he said, phandles are only created if referenced in the normal mode
of operation.  Only if you add extra options for allowing overlays
(-@) will phandles be created for all labelled nodes (because it's
impossible for dtc to determine which ones are necessary).

> I see that phandles not used are in the dts output file.

Uh.. what do you mean by that?  Do you just mean you don't see any
&whatever in the dts output?  You'll never get that - once the
phandles are resolved, they're just integers, when decompiling there's
no way for dtc to determine which integers used to be phandles.