[Ksummit-discuss] Maintainer's Summit Agenda Planning

Frank Rowand frowand.list at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 06:45:24 UTC 2017

On 10/24/17 17:54, Kees Cook wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 4:41 PM, Joe Perches <joe at perches.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2017-10-24 at 16:03 -0700, Kees Cook wrote:

>>> Given that the "trivial patches" topic's discussion ended up boiling
>>> down to a discussion about developing across multiple areas of the
>>> kernel, maybe we should make space for a "tree-wide changes"
>>> discussion? Even after the earlier thread about it, I tripped all over
>>> this in the last couple months while doing timer conversions, so I
>>> would at least have some more strong opinions on the subject. ;)
>>
>> It's a ripe area (like months old limburger cheese) for discussion.
>>
>> There's currently no good way to do tree-wide changes.
>
> Some things stand out for me:

< snip >

> 3) Maintainers (sanely) balk at getting a massive dump of patches all
> at once. It would be nice to document "batch limits" in the
> MAINTAINERS file too. (For example, davem asked me after I sent him 60
> patches in a single day if I could please limit the batch size to 12
> between commits (i.e. only send the next batch after the prior batch
> has been applied/processed). "H:"ow many at once, maybe?

< snip >

But patches sent to a list are not just for the maintainer.  They are
also for anyone else who may be affected or who may care to review
the patches.  Those other people have their own schedule issues.

If you hold off sending a second patch set this week, then send it
next week (when the maintainer once again has some bandwith), it is
likely that someone other than the maintainer has time to look at
that patche set this week, but may have no free time to do so next week.

-Frank