[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] How to encourage driver authors to annotate integer endianness properly

Bart Van Assche Bart.VanAssche at wdc.com
Wed Oct 25 09:47:25 UTC 2017

Hello Ted,

As you most likely know endianness annotations like __be32 can be verified
by the static source code analyzer called sparse. These annotations are a
big help to verify whether endianness conversions in drivers are correct
(e.g. be32_to_cpu()). However, many driver authors either are not familiar
with sparse or do not use it to verify their work. I think we need a way
to encourage driver authors to pay attention to endianness annotations,
e.g. by letting the zero-day kernel test infrastructure verify endianness
annotations. Please consider to add this topic to the kernel summit agenda.

Thanks,

Bart.