[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] How to encourage driver authors to annotate integer endianness properly

Bart Van Assche Bart.VanAssche at wdc.com
Wed Oct 25 12:11:43 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-10-25 at 12:38 +0200, greg at kroah.com wrote:
> endian support in sparse has been there for over a decade now, right?
> This isn't a new issue, and if a driver author/team does not want to
> do the work for a specific endian, then disable the drivers from that
> build...

Hello Greg,

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. My concern is not about drivers that do
not work for a specific endianness but about drivers that need endianness
conversions because the endianness of the firmware registers differs from
that of the CPU. Such drivers benefit from endianness annotations even
if only one specific CPU endianness type is supported by these drivers.

Bart.