[Ksummit-discuss] Kernel Summit 2017 Feedback Thread

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Mon Oct 30 20:09:10 UTC 2017

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 8:41 PM, Theodore Ts'o <tytso at mit.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 08:26:01AM -0700, Laura Abbott wrote:
>>
>> What ended up happening in the unconference anyway? I mostly didn't
>> think about it but part of that was not knowing what was being
>> discussed. I get the nature of the unconference makes it hard to
>> plan ahead but there didn't seem to be a good way to know what was
>> being discussed.
>
> There was one unconference slot used this year, and it was a
> continuation of the Linux security discussion.  People were supposed
> to post proposals to the ksummit-discuss list, but this didn't seem to
> work very well this year compared to last year in Santa Fe (where
> roughly half of the unconference slots were used).
>
> It could have been that between KVM Forum, ELC, and OSS Europe, there
> was simply less of a need for more kernel-oriented discussions.

I think a lot of people were simply unaware of the new format and
how to use it. I heard from multiple people that were at the kernel
summit that they only learned on the same day that they would be
allowed to participate. I'm sure others didn't get the message at all
and just didn't show up, either to the entire event or the kernel summit
sessions.

> One of the things I've thought about doing for next year is to set up
> a wiki page to make it easier for people to sign up slots.

Good idea.

      Arnd