[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINER SUMMIT] Stable trees and release time

Jiri Kosina jikos at kernel.org
Tue Sep 4 21:12:38 UTC 2018

On Tue, 4 Sep 2018, Laura Abbott wrote:

> I also realize Greg is probably reading this with a very skeptical look
> on his face so I'd be interested to hear from other distro maintainers
> as well.

As a SUSE distro kernel maintainer, I'd really like to participate if any
such discussion is happening.

Namely:

- we're having a lot of internal discussions about how to adjust our
  processess to the changes happening in -stable tree process and patch
  acceptance criteria

- it's becoming more and more apparent (and even Greg stated it in the few
  months old thread Sasha referred to) that stable tree is not really
  intended for distros in the first place; it might be useful to have this
  clarified a bit more.

  Namely: it's sort of evident that most of the major distros are running
  their own variation of the stable tree. Would it be beneficial to
  somehow close the feedback loop back from the distros to the stable
  tree? Or is total disconnect between the two worlds inevitable and
  desired?

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina