[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINER SUMMIT] Stable trees and release time

Sasha Levin Alexander.Levin at microsoft.com
Tue Sep 4 23:14:51 UTC 2018

On Tue, Sep 04, 2018 at 03:03:05PM -0700, Laura Abbott wrote:
>On 09/04/2018 02:55 PM, Guenter Roeck wrote:

>>>OTOH, what I like with the current process is that I don't have to align
>>>any of the various (internal) release schedules we have with some
>>>standard stable kernel release schedule. I just pick the latest stable
>>>kernel (.Z) and we go through our build/testing pipeline on it. If
>>>another stable kernel (.Z+1) is released a day later it will just wait
>>>until the next release based on our schedule.
>>>
>>>Why not set your own release schedule and just take the latest stable
>>>kernel at that point? So what if the .Z+1 kernel is out a day later? You
>>>could just queue it up for your next release.
>>>
>>>This is exactly what would happen if you ask Greg to go on some sort of
>>>a schedule - he'll just defer the .Z+1 commits to what would have been
>>>the .Z+2 release, so you don't really win anything by moving to a
>>>stricter schedule.
>>>

>>Good point. There would actually be a downside of having a longer
>>release cycle: Fewer releases means more patches per release.
>>More patches per release results in more regressions per release
>>(if we assume a constant percentage of regressions, which seems
>>reasonable).
>>

>Yes but with a longer -rc cycle we could have more time to actually
>find those bugs before they get released and we could get more focused
>testing.

Indeed, but what's long enough? I'm sure that if we extend it to a month
we'll find even more bugs; there's never "enough" testing.

Maybe some concrete numbers will help here. Do you maybe know how many
commits in the past year snuck past the -rc cycle into a stable release
and found as buggy by Fedora's testing pipeline?

--
Thanks,
Sasha