[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Challenges in Upstream vs. Embargoed Development in Intel Graphics.

Greg KH gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Sep 5 08:31:20 UTC 2018

On Wed, Sep 05, 2018 at 10:17:44AM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 9:48 AM, Greg KH <gregkh at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> >> No. nothing to do with government.
> >> Embargoed by company's temporary restrictions.
> >>
> >> Sorry for not being clear here.
> >
> > Why do we care about something like this?  It sounds like it is an Intel
> > issue in that they want to delay pushing stuff upstream.  Why does
> > upstream care about this?

> >> First of all I don't believe that we are the only one that need to
> >> keep this kind of flow and i915 has a very active development and we
> >> are strongly committed with upstream development. Our golden rules for
> >> internal development is upstream first, upstream always.
> >
> > Great!  So if this rule runs into opposition to people within your
> > company, doesn't that sound like a meeting with those company members is
> > the best solution?
> >
> >> So, maybe sharing some knowledge and lessons we learned on the past
> >> years might be useful to someone else that might still struggle with
> >> closed source style of development.
> >
> > Ah, so you want to talk about how to change your process to work better
> > with companies that don't like doing upstream-first work?  That sounds
> > like a nice talk, but you need to make that a bit more clear here :)
> >
> >> Also we have some challenges on keeping everything updated and ready
> >> for upstreaming at any moment.
> >
> > "any moment"?  Don't you know this ahead of time?  If not, that sounds
> > like a company problem...
>
> The only companies which do not have this problems (at least in the
> graphics space) are those which don't care one bit about upstream at
> all. So yes, all the problems we have (and everyone else I've talked
> to in gfx) are dealing with are direct consequences of doing
> upstream-first drivers for a proprietary piece of hardware developed
> behind closed doors. And until we have exclusively open source IP
> hardware this problem won't go away.

Why are graphics companies "special" here somehow?  What about network
driver companies (like Intel?)  CPU manufactures?  IB controller
companies?  Any company really...

> This was an invitation to exchange experience in how to best deal with
> the fallout - I do actually know that this is not an intel-only issue
> because I chatted with non-Intel people about how they deal with this.
> And I thought that figuring out how to do better upstream-first is
> very much within the scope of ks/lpc, hence why I suggested Rodrigo
> brings this up as a talk proposal.

Ok, a "Here is how we work with pre-release hardware and upstream" type
of talk, giving suggestions for how to deal with this at a company level
would be a nice proposal.  But that was a bit hard to tease out of the
original submission here :)

thanks,

greg k-h