[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINER SUMMIT] Stable trees and release time

Jiri Kosina jikos at kernel.org
Wed Sep 5 11:20:45 UTC 2018

On Wed, 5 Sep 2018, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

> I totally agree that we want backports and stable kernels, but I really
> have to ask whether backporting all the way back to the begin of the
> universe makes any sense at all. I know that the enterprise folks still
> believe that their frankenkernels are valuable and make sense, but given
> the shit they rolled out this year, there is enough factual evidence that
> this model is broken beyond repair.

I don't think any enterprise distro vendor is asking for stable LTS for
super-historical kernels. Major RHEL is (afaik) 2.6.32 and 3.10-based,
major SLE is 3.0, 4.4 and 4.12 based.

So there is one intersection there, and that's 4.4.

Supporting such old monsters is a business decision that was made by said
vendors, so it's perfectly fine they (actually "we" :) ) are suffering on
their (our) own.

If enterprise vendors would be able to create a working business
relationship with partners and customers around 'rolling' kernel versions
in enterprise distributions one day, that'd of course be awesome.

We're not there yet, but things are definitely changing on this front as
well. For example we (as in "SUSE") are now more pro-active updating
kernel version between enterprise distro service packs than we've
historically been. It can be seen as one of the steps towards more
'rolling' flexibility, but it's sometimes a rather hard sell to the
enterprise.

> IOW, in the light of meltdown/spectre all effort should have been put
> into getting 4.14 and 4.9 fixed instead of diverting our very limited
> capcity to create monstrosities back to 2.6 variants.

I agree that it'd be an ideal world, but it's guaranteed that if we just
say to the people running some of our 2.6 kernel under a very special
contract that they have to all of a sudden move to 4.14, we'll just
immediately lose that contract (and someone else will immediately plug the
hole on the market and create perhaps even worse backport for them), and
for various reasons we don't want that to happen :)

Such contracts are usually set up in a way that only very specific fixes
can be requested for said kernels. We've historically put our bets on the
fact that we'll be able to provide those rare fixes even for 2.6, and it
worked well.
Now we're paying back a bit of course (because spectre/meltdown of course
qualifies), but upstream can completely and happily ignore that.

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs