[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINER SUMMIT] Distribution kernel bugzillas considered harmful

Konstantin Ryabitsev konstantin at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Sep 5 13:39:16 UTC 2018

On Wed, Sep 05, 2018 at 03:16:59PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > Second suggestion is that the bugzillas need to say much more strongly
> > that the reporter really needs to confirm the fix in upstream and do
> > the bisection themselves (and ideally request the backport to stable
> > themselves).
>
> OK, distros definitely need to try hard not to annoy upstream devs.
>
> In the case of SUSE Kernel, we usually ask testing the latest
> (more-or-less) vanilla kernel at first.  If it's an upstream problem,
> then it's often tossed to the upstream.  If it's already addressed in
> the upstream kernel, we take the responsibility for backports.  Asking
> bisection by reporter is usually the last resort.
>
> It'd be helpful if we get any suggestion to improve the process.

It would be awesome to have a "bisect at home" type of thing with a similar
idea like seti at home and folding at home. Have a central queue where
developers can submit upstream commits and testcases, and a swarm of
volunteer drones would grab and bisect-build them until the
bug-introducing commit is identified and reported back.

I'll totally host the hell out of this.

-K