[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINER SUMMIT] Distribution kernel bugzillas considered harmful

Jiri Kosina jikos at kernel.org
Wed Sep 5 19:25:17 UTC 2018

On Wed, 5 Sep 2018, James Bottomley wrote:

> We do this in SCSI as well, but only if the tree hasn't yet been
> submitted to Linus.  The technical term is folding.  It's obviously
> better to fix buggy commits that haven't gone upstream because it
> improves bisectability.

We are drifting away a bit here, but now that you have mentioned it, let
me add a datapoint to this -- it's actually causing issues to our
workflow, as we have scsi.git as one of the upstreams [1], and when you
rebase, it blows up our git workflow and we have to fixup things manually.

So if you are aware of your tree having downstreams, and care about not
breaking them and want to be nice to them, you shouldn't rebase that tree
[2].

[1] there are some funny technical details, but in basic principle it's
    exactly like that

[2] https://yarchive.net/comp/linux/git_rebase.html

Thanks,

--