[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Bug-introducing patches

Steven Rostedt rostedt at goodmis.org
Fri Sep 7 02:33:54 UTC 2018

On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 01:49:31 +0000
Sasha Levin <Alexander.Levin at microsoft.com> wrote:

> Look at v4.17-rc8..v4.18: how many of those commits fix something
> introduced in the v4.17 merge window vs fixing something older?

I will note that from my own experience, I have found a lot of older
bugs because new code that was added triggers the easier. Or I will
find old bugs while debugging a bug that was introduced in the last
merge window.

Why should this bug that I found and fixed be treated differently than
a bug that was introduced in the merge window. A lot of times, these
older bugs become "crap, this is bad, I need to get this to stable
ASAP" too.

-- Steve