[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Bug-introducing patches

Guenter Roeck linux at roeck-us.net
Fri Sep 7 02:52:41 UTC 2018

On 09/06/2018 06:49 PM, Sasha Levin via Ksummit-discuss wrote:

> This is a *huge* reason why we see regressions in Stable. Take a look at
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/ksummit-discuss/2018-September/005287.html
> for a list of recent user visible regressions the CoreOS folks have
> observed this year. Do you want to know when they were merged? Let me
> help you: all but one were merged in -rc5 or later.

My conclusion from that would be that patches are applied to stable
before they had time to soak in mainline. Your argument against
accepting patches into mainline might as well be applied to patches
applied to stable.

I think you are a bit hypocritical arguing that patches should be
restricted from being accepted into mainline ... when at the same
time patches are at least sometimes applied almost immediately to
stable releases from there. Plus, some if not many of the patches
applied to stable releases nowadays don't really fix critical or
even severe bugs. If the patches mentioned above indeed caused
regressions in mainline, those regressions should have been found
and fixed _before_ the patches made it into stable releases.
Blaming mainline for the problem is just shifting the blame.

I would argue that, if anything, the rules for accepting patches into
_stable_ releases should be much more strict than they are today.
If anything, we need to look into that, not into restricting patch
access to mainline.

Guenter