[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] API replacement/deprecation

Julia Lawall julia.lawall at lip6.fr
Fri Sep 7 09:38:16 UTC 2018

On Fri, 7 Sep 2018, Jani Nikula wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Sep 2018, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
> > On Fri, 07 Sep 2018 01:24:03 +0200,
> > Kees Cook wrote:

> >> Hopefully we can all agree on deprecating strcpy() and strncpy() in
> >> favor of strscpy()?
> >
> > How about providing some lightweight check script for git commit hook,
> > and let each maintainer install it?
>
> I looked up 771c035372a0 ("deprecate the '__deprecated' attribute
> warnings entirely and for good"). It's easy to agree that's the right
> thing to do for the regular build.
>
> However, I think there's value in having __deprecated tagged to
> functions. (Note, just that, without defining it as
> __attribute__((deprecated)).) People looking the functions up can see
> they should find alternatives, and people looking for things to do could
> take on the conversion. I don't think a separate deprecated file will
> work. It's all too detached.
>
> Then you can just use -D__deprecated=__attribute__((deprecated)) to get
> the warnings when you like, even on a per module/file basis, or add that
> to W=<some level>, or add that to 0-day or whatever CI, ensuring patches
> aren't adding new warnings.
>
> No need to invent wheels for things where the compiler can help.

I came up with the following Coccinelle semantic patch.  The advantage is
that it can also give a hint as to what should be done.  The intent is
that it should be easily extensible.  At the moment, running in report
mode gives messages like:

drivers/nfc/pn544/i2c.c:543:1-7: Deprecated function strcpy.  Please use
strscpy, which ensures the result is null terminated and returns a negative
error code on overflow

julia

/// Report on calls to deprecated functions
///
// Confidence: High
// Copyright: (C) 2018 Julia Lawall, Inria. GPLv2.

virtual context
virtual org
virtual report

@initialize:ocaml@
@@

let infos =
  [("strcpy",
    "Please use strscpy, which ensures the result is null terminated and returns a negative error code on overflow");
    ("strlcpy",
     "Please use strscpy, which ensures the result is null terminated and returns a negative error code on overflow");
    ("strncpy",
     "Please use strscpy, which ensures the result is null terminated and returns a negative error code on overflow");
    (* ("new_function_name", "new_comment") *)
  ]

let tbl = Hashtbl.create 101

let _ =
  List.iter (function (nm,comment) -> Hashtbl.add tbl nm comment) infos

// ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

@r depends on context || org || report@
identifier f : script:ocaml() { Hashtbl.mem tbl f };
position j0;
@@

*  f at j0(...)

// ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

@script:ocaml r_org depends on org@
f << r.f;
j0 << r.j0;
@@

let msg = Printf.sprintf "Deprecated function %s.  %s" f (Hashtbl.find tbl f) in
Coccilib.print_main msg j0

@script:ocaml r_report depends on report@
f << r.f;
j0 << r.j0;
@@

let p = List.hd j0 in
Printf.printf "%s:%d:%d-%d: Deprecated function %s.  %s\n"
  p.file p.line p.col p.col_end f (Hashtbl.find tbl f)