[Ksummit-discuss] CHANGE OF PLAN: Maintainer Summit will be in Edinburgh

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 22:13:54 UTC 2018

On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 at 04:50, Theodore Y. Ts'o <tytso at mit.edu> wrote:

> Last Friday (just before Labor Day) I learned that Linus had gotten
> confused about when and where the Maintainer's Summit was going to be
> held this year.  And most unfortunately, he has already scheduled a
> family vacation overlapping with the week of the Maintainer's Summit.
>
> Over the weekend, I've been conferring with folks from the Linux
> Foundation, Linus, and the Maintainer's / Kernel Summit program
> committee.  We explored a lot of options, but ultimately there were
> only two choices that were workable:
>
> 1)  Have the Maintainer's Summit in Vancouver, without Linus.
>
> 2)  Move the Maintainer's Summit to Edinburgh, with Linus.
>
> Curiously enough, Linus suggested option #1.  And while holding the
> Maintainer's Summit without Linus might be an interesting experiment,
> ultimately, the Program Committee had a strong consensus that moving
> it Summit to Edinburgh was the better option.
>
> This means that the Maintainer's Summit will take place in Edinburgh,
> on Monday afternoon, October 22nd.  As a reminder, the Maintainer's
> Summit is an invite-only workshop, with ~30 people attending.  The
> focus of the Maintainer's Summit is process and development issues,
> *not* technical issues.
>
> The Kernel Summit track will still be held in Vancouver alongside
> Plumber's.  Technical discussions will take place there; we simply
> won't have the time, or necessarily, the right people, to have
> technical discussions at the Maintainer's Summit.
>
> This means that people who get an invite to the Maintainer's Summit
> may have an extra trip this year (some may have been planning to
> attend OSS EU anyway).  For those for which this will be an extra
> trip, I apologize in advance.  Maintainer's Summit invitees will still
> receive a free (non-transferrable) registration to the Linux Plumber's
> Conference.
>
> This also means that the process by which we issue invites to the
> Maintainer's Summit is going to have been significantly accelerated.
> So if you have any ideas for the Maintainer's Summit Topics, please
> chime in soon!

Way to go team :-)

I was unsure on making to Vancouver, getting to Edinburgh in a shorter
timeframe is even more unlikely at this stage, surprisingly I prefer
being married to hanging out with Linus.

3) Have it next year. It's all ticking along nicely, and we probably
won't make major changes anyways.

I assume this means the Monday at LPC is empty now, unless we can
propose a use for it, or a mini-summit no Linus.

Dave.