[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINER SUMMIT] How can we treat staging drivers better?

Jonathan Cameron jic23 at jic23.retrosnub.co.uk
Sat Sep 8 08:45:32 UTC 2018

On 7 September 2018 20:44:54 BST, Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab+samsung at kernel.org> wrote:
>Em Wed, 05 Sep 2018 15:35:53 +0200
>Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> escreveu:
>
>> The staging driver is a wonderful process to promote the downstream
>> code to the upstream, but I have doubt whether it's working really as
>> expected for now.
>>
>> - Often the drivers live forever in staging although they should have
>>   been moved to the upper, properly maintained, subsystems.
>>
>> - Code changes in staging are mostly only scratching surfaces, minor
>>   code style cleanups, etc, what checkpatch suggests.
>>
>> - There are little communications with the corresponding subsystem;
>>   already a few times I was surprised by casually finding a staging
>>   driver code by grepping for preparing API changes.
>
>What we do in the case of media drivers is that we have a
>	drivers/staging/media
>directory with a proper MAINTAINERS' entry:
>
>MEDIA INPUT INFRASTRUCTURE (V4L/DVB)
>M:	Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab at kernel.org>
>P:	LinuxTV.org Project
>L:	linux-media at vger.kernel.org
>W:	https://linuxtv.org
>Q:	http://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-media/list/
>T:	git git://linuxtv.org/media_tree.git
>S:	Maintained
>F:	Documentation/devicetree/bindings/media/
>F:	Documentation/media/
>F:	drivers/media/
>F:	drivers/staging/media/
>
>This way, we receive notifications (both on my e-mail and at the media
>ML) about changes there.
>
>I also asked Greg to avoid picking patches directly to it. So,
>we're able to manage what's there.

Likewise, IIO staging driver patches are handled on the same mailing list as non staging ones.

Partly that is historical given IIO itself graduated from staging but it works really well.
If people aren't interested they can just not join in with those threads.

Perhaps this model would help more generally?

A really good use we make of the drivers in staging is to mentor new contributors through
cleaning them up.  We normally only drop drivers if no one has hardware and it is not easy to get.
This is not typically trivial clean up but more major rework.

Often hardware companies are happy to lend or give dev boards to enable this. This includes
drivers that set there unloved for lots of years...