[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Bug-introducing patches

Mauro Carvalho Chehab mchehab+samsung at kernel.org
Sat Sep 8 11:48:22 UTC 2018

Em Sat, 08 Sep 2018 12:44:32 +0300
Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com> escreveu:

> On Saturday, 8 September 2018 00:06:33 EEST Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

> > > This is what imo a well-run subsystem should sound like from a testing
> > > pov. All the subsystem specific testing should be done before merging.
> > > Post-merge is only for integration testing and catching the long-tail
> > > issues that need months/years of machine time to surface.
> > >
> > > Of course this is much harder for anything that needs physical
> > > hardware, but even for driver subsystems there's lots you can do with
> > > test-drivers, selftests and a pile of emulation, to at least catch
> > > bugs in generic code. And for reasonably sized teams like drm/i915
> > > building a proper CI is a very obvious investement that will pay off.
> >
> > IMHO, CI would do even a better job for smaller teams, as they won't
> > have much resources for testing, but the problem here is that those
> > teams probably lack resources and money to invest on a physical hardware
> > to setup a CI infra and to buy the myriad of different hardware to
> > do regression testing.
> >
> > Also, some devices are harder to test: how would you check if a camera
> > microphone is working? How to check if the camera captured images
> > are ok?
>
> The same way you would check the display output. Cameras can be pointed at
> known scenes with controlled lightning. TV capture cards can be fed a known
> signal. Even for microphone testing we could put the camera in a sound-proof
> enclosure, with an audio source. Solutions exist, whether we have the budget
> to implement them is the real question.

Solutions exist, but they require a hole new kind of environment control.

In the case of DRM (and TV cards), display output can be tested with some
HDMI grabber card. No need for a "controlled lightning environment" or
anything like that. Once it is set, people can just place it into a
random datacenter located anywhere and forget about it.

However, in the case of hardware like cameras, microphones, speakers,
keyboards, mice, touchscreen, etc, it is a way more complex, as the
environment will require adjustments (a silent room, specific
lightning, mechanical components, etc) and a more proactive supervision,
as it would tend to produce more false positive errors if something
changes there. A normal datacenter won't fit those needs.

Thanks,
Mauro