[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINER SUMMIT] community management/subsystem governance

Theodore Y. Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Mon Sep 10 21:11:28 UTC 2018

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 11:32:00PM +0300, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> On my side, there are three very important features that a communication
> system should have:
>
> - It should be push-based. I don't want to have to log in and pull information
> from web UIs.
>
> - It should be customizable, offering an easy way to script review, and patch
> and pull request handling.
>
> - It should offer an offline mode. Lots of us travel a lot or generally have
> to work without an internet connection more often than we would like, so any
> solution that requires being online won't work.
>
> Emails provide all that, there may be good options I just fail to think about
> right now.

One more requirement I would add is that messages should be archived,
and should have a first class search system.  We should be able to
reference a commit id in a communications thread, and then a search
for that commit id (or commit description) should be able to turn up
that message, and from there, be able to see the rest of the messages
on that thread.

Being able to find the "legislative history" behind a particular
change in the kernel is super-important.

				- Ted