[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINER SUMMIT] community management/subsystem governance

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com
Mon Sep 10 21:38:13 UTC 2018

Hi Sean,

On Tuesday, 11 September 2018 00:09:02 EEST Sean Paul wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 4:15 PM Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> >>
> >> Yeah, but OTOH even now I've heard a lot of feedback about the irregular
> >> contributors / newcomers being confused by different subsystems having
> >> different processess and requirements; and those are basically just
> >> rather "minor" things currently (bugzilla usage, patchwork usage,
> >> subscriber-only mailinglists, etc), but it's still enough to confuse the
> >> hell out of people.
> >
> > That's also one of my concerns. The differences between subsystems that
> > all use an email-based review process can already be confusing, or just
> > annoying to handle, especially when specific tools are mandated (the DRM
> > dim tool or the ARM patch system come to mind). I dread to think about
> > how painful it would be if one subsystem adopted gitlab, another one
> > gerrit, ...
>
> The other way to look at this is as a feature, not a bug. As mentioned
> upthread, each subsystem is essentially its own oss project at this
> point, so why keep pretending they're all the same thing?

Subsystems are given lots of freedom in how they implement their development
process, and many use that freedom, but in the end they are all integrated in
the same kernel. This works because we have a common communication tool.

> At least in the gitlab/gerrit/github nightmare, the differing contributing
> rules would be obvious as opposed to implicit as they are today.

And we would lose the common communication tool.

(And if we went for gerrit, we'd likely lose the majority of developers, but
that's a separate topic - after having to use gerrit when working on project
Ara, I now reject any customer project that would force me to use gerrit
again)

> > That would also make changes that cross subsystem boundaries a nightmare
> > to handle. Let's not forget that many developers are not confined within a
> > single subsystem.
>
> Well, yeah, this kind of blows a hole in what I said above. I'm
> imagining Kees crying out in pain thinking about tree-wide changes in
> this new world :-).

I had the exact same image :-)

> That said, there's probably a pretty good middle ground between what
> we have now and the gitlab utopia.

I believe we all agree there's lots of room for improvement, that's already
quite positive.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart