[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Bug-introducing patches

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue Sep 11 17:35:40 UTC 2018

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 2:47 PM Stephen Rothwell <sfr at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> I am pretty sure that Linus does not follow linux-next (except to see
> what is still coming during the merge window),

Correct. I follow next only for tracking how much to expect, and then
verifying the occasional borderline pull (if if something looks fishy,
I might check :was it in linux-next?"). I don't really track it
otherwise.

>                   so maybe I should be
> yelling at people - but yelling is not one of my better skills :-)

I wish I wasn't always the bad guy ("when daddy gets home, you'll
really get it"), but one thing that might be worth doing is to just
track what causes failures, and inform me.

If a failure persists, I'll know at least to not pull it.

But that requires that the failures be pinpointed at lest to which
linux-next pull it was, so that you (or somebody else who runs tests)
can do more than "build/boot failed for linux-next", and actually
point to where the failure came in.

             Linus