[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Bug-introducing patches

Eduardo Valentin edubezval at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 18:12:51 UTC 2018

Hey,

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 10:47:02AM -0700, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Tue, 2018-09-11 at 10:40 -0700, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> > * Steven Rostedt <rostedt at goodmis.org> [180911 15:46]:

> > > This may have come across a bit too strong. We don't need Linus to
> > > yell, but there should definitely be consequences for any
> > > maintainer that pushes untested code to linux-next. At a bare
> > > minimum, all code that goes into linux-next should have passed 0day
> > > bot. Push code to a non-linux-next branch on kernel.org, wait a few
> > > days, if you don't get any reports that a bot caught something
> > > broken, you should be good to go (also you can opt-in to get
> > > reports on 0day success, which I do, to make that cycle even
> > > shorter). And that's a pretty low bar to have to
> > > pass. Ideally, all maintainers should have a set of tests they run
> > > before pushing anything to linux-next, or to Linus in the late
> > > -rcs. If you can't be bothered just to rely on at least 0day then
> > > you should not be a maintainer.
> >
> > Based on the regressions I seem to hit quite a few Linux next
> > regressions could have been avoided if Andrew's mm tree had seem some
> > more testing before being added to next. Probably because Andrew
> > queues lots of complicated patches :)
> >
> > So yeah what you're suggesting might help with that if we establish
> > a let's say 24 hour period before adding branches to next. At
> > least that gives the automated systems a chance to test stuff
> > before it hits next. And people who want to can then test various
> > branches separately in advance.
>
> I really don't think that helps.  The 0day mailing list bot seems to be

I think the idea is to minimize the failures on -next, and use the
linux-next tree for its original purpose: check for integration issues.

> a bit overloaded and about 80% of the automation isn't run *unless*
> your branch hits -next.  Our criterion for -next queueing is local

Oh, I see. I was not aware of such dependency of the 0day bot. The
kernelCI bot, which I mainly use after my local test, has no such
requirement.

> tests pass, code inspection complete and 0day ML didn't complain.
> However, we still get quite a few reports from the -next automated
> testing even after our local stuff.  I really don't see what delaying
> into -next buys you except delaying finding and fixing bugs.

having a larger build/boot/test coverage before pushing on linux-next.
But given the 0day dependency on -next itself, I am not sure it is worth
it. Why is that a thing anyways? 0day cannot test individual branches?