[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Bug-introducing patches

James Bottomley James.Bottomley at Hansenpartnership.com
Tue Sep 11 18:19:20 UTC 2018

On September 11, 2018 11:12:51 AM PDT, Eduardo Valentin <edubezval at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hey,
>
>On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 a 10:47:02AM -0700, James Bottomley wrote:
>> On Tue, 2018-09-11 at 10:40 -0700, Tony Lindgren wrote:
>> > * Steven Rostedt <rostedt at goodmis.org> [180911 15:46]:

>0day
>few
>run
>> >
>> > Based on the regressions I seem to hit quite a few Linux next
>> > regressions could have been avoided if Andrew's mm tree had seem
>some
>> > more testing before being added to next. Probably because Andrew
>> > queues lots of complicated patches :)
>> >
>> > So yeah what you're suggesting might help with that if we establish
>> > a let's say 24 hour period before adding branches to next. At
>> > least that gives the automated systems a chance to test stuff
>> > before it hits next. And people who want to can then test various
>> > branches separately in advance.
>>
>> I really don't think that helps.  The 0day mailing list bot seems to
>be
>
>I think the idea is to minimize the failures on -next, and use the
>linux-next tree for its original purpose: check for integration issues.

We thought the patch was ready based on our acceptance criteria. That's why it went into our -next integration branch.  Finding bugs after we thought it was ready is a legitimate integration issue...

>> a bit overloaded and about 80% of the automation isn't run *unless*
>> your branch hits -next.  Our criterion for -next queueing is local
>
>Oh, I see. I was not aware of such dependency of the 0day bot. The
>kernelCI bot, which I mainly use after my local test, has no such
>requirement.
>
>> tests pass, code inspection complete and 0day ML didn't complain.
>> However, we still get quite a few reports from the -next automated
>> testing even after our local stuff.  I really don't see what delaying
>> into -next buys you except delaying finding and fixing bugs.
>>

>having a larger build/boot/test coverage before pushing on linux-next.
>But given the 0day dependency on -next itself, I am not sure it is
>worth
>it. Why is that a thing anyways? 0day cannot test individual branches?

0day does test most branches it finds but its better to work off a curated list which the -next build bot has.

James