[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Bug-introducing patches

Sasha Levin Alexander.Levin at microsoft.com
Tue Sep 11 23:04:22 UTC 2018

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 06:53:29PM -0400, James Bottomley wrote:
>On Tue, 2018-09-11 at 16:31 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 16:09:32 -0400
>> James Bottomley <James.Bottomley at HansenPartnership.com> wrote:
>>
>> > On Tue, 2018-09-11 at 14:39 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
>[...]
>> >
>> > I don't really see any point having a local -pre-next pass and
>> > hoping 0day will find it.  It's much more valuable (and faster) to
>> > push to -next and have all the integrated tests work on it once
>> > we've done everything we can locally.
>>
>> Why not do what I do and push to a -pre-next branch when you kick off
>> your local tests?
>
>Because there's no point.  As I said, when we complete the local
>criteria the branch is ready for integration.  We push to -next and
>*all* the built bots tell us if there are any problems (which I don't
>expect there are but there's room for me to be wrong) ... including
>0day.  I don't see what the delay and the process hassle would buy us
>if we only get a review by 0day in the -pre-next branch.  It seems more
>efficient to let every bot loose on what we think is mergeable.

The problem with that approach is that it will break build more often,
and if build is broken then usually no automated testing are getting
done for that day.

So you're not hurting just your tree, you're basically stopping any
automated testing on -next.

And yes, bots are already building way more things than just -next. Both
0day and kernelci build individual maintainer branches as well. Maybe a
simple solution would be to just add your pre-next branch while you run
your own tests and have it added to 0day and kernelci?

--
Thanks,
Sasha