[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Bug-introducing patches

Alexandre Belloni alexandre.belloni at bootlin.com
Wed Sep 12 13:10:01 UTC 2018

On 12/09/2018 15:53:59+0300, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> On Wednesday, 12 September 2018 15:29:25 EEST Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> > >
> > > That's a behaviour that has been annoying me lately, maintainers should
> > > have no special privilege when it comes to pushing code upstream. All
> > > patches should be posted publicly, given enough time to be reviewed, and
> > > review comments should be addressed before anything is merged to a -next
> > > branch. Unfortunately that's not always the case :-S
> >
> > Come on. Do you really expect me to wait for review when I fix up the
> > internal testing/ 0-day fallout which is often enough something trivial?
> > Do you really expect me to wait for review when I worked with a bug
> > reporter to decode something and have a 100% explanation that it fixes the
> > root cause and not the symptom?
> >
> > 1) Our review capacity is small enough already, so we don't have to
> >    throw more stuff out for review.
> >
> > 2) With that modus, bugs will stay unfixed way longer and merging of code
> >    will even be more delayed.
>
> I don't expect to wait for review forever, but I expect maintainers to give an
> opportunity to reviewers to review patches. We obviously need to consider the
> balance between review opportunity and problems (such as build breakages) that
> could affect hundreds of developers if left unfixed even for a few days.
>
> Too often I've noticed changes to code I maintain that introduced bugs or
> other issues, performed by a maintainer who didn't even bother to post the
> patch before pushing to to his -next branch, who didn't CC me (I could take
> part of the blame for not reading mailing lists with enough attention, but the
> volume is very high), or, possibly worse, who sent a patch out, received my
> review on the same day, and completely ignored it. The last issue is very
> demotivating for reviewers. Those changes were not at all urgent, some of them
> were "cleanups", or replacement of a deprecated API by a new one. That's very
> different than fixing a build breakage in -next which clearly can't wait.
>
> > If I don't have special rights as a maintainer and you don't trust me that
> > I use my common sense when I'm using these special rights, then you
> > degraded me to a patch juggling monkey. On the day this happens, I'll step
> > down.
>
> Maintainers are much more than patch juggling monkeys, otherwise they could be
> replaced by machines. I believe that maintainers are given the huge
> responsibility of taking care of their community. Fostering a productive work
> environment, attracting (and keeping) talented developers and reviewers is a
> huge and honourable task, and gets my full respect. On top of that, if a
> maintainer has great technical skills, it's even better, and I've learnt a lot
> from talented maintainers over the time. I however believe that technical
> skills are not an excuse for not leading by example and showing what the good
> practices are by applying them.

> [...]

I guess the issue is that it is very difficult to trust reviewed-by or
acked-by tags that are coming from coworkers/affiliates, especially more
when the review didn't happen publicly. From my point of view, that
review may or may not have happened.

--
Alexandre Belloni, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering