[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Bug-introducing patches

Guenter Roeck linux at roeck-us.net
Wed Sep 12 13:38:11 UTC 2018

On 09/12/2018 05:36 AM, James Bottomley wrote:

> Look, shit happens occasionally.  What then happens is that you get a
> note from Stephen saying your tree is dropped for a day for crapping on
> the carpet and you fix it.  -next still builds without you so I don't
> get what all the fuss is about.  From my point of view the -next
> process works very well and I don't see a need to complicate it with a
> -next-next or a -pre-next or whatever.

Not sure if I agree with the "works very well" part. I would say it works,
for the most part, decently well, and we would be in a much worse situation
without it. I would hope for code in -next to be tested a bit better,
and problems to be fixed faster, but one can not have everything.

However, I definitely agree that we don't need -next-next or -pre-next.
That would not improve the situation at all; it would just create even
more noise and result in people testing their code even less before
publishing it.

Guenter